Learning doesn't have to be a chore, especially when it comes to improving speech! While the Handcues poster supports practising sounds and building fluency, you can add some fun to the process. Turn sound articulation practice into playtime with these engaging games for all ages:
- Mystery sign - hot or cold:One player stands with their back to the poster, and the other describes a sound using only Handcues cues. Turn it into a hot-or-cold guessing game for added excitement!
- Sound Charades:Act out the movements and positions for different sounds on the poster without making a sound. Whoever guesses correctly gets to choose the next sound!
- Jumblesounds into words: Place HandCue prompt cards on the table in random order. Players race to rearrange the letters and form words from sounds using the Handcues prompt cards.
- Matching Pairs:Create a pack two packs of cards where the one pack has the hand cue and the other has the sound - then the players have to mach each hand cue with a sound.
- Sound Sequence:Arrange a few sound icons from the poster in a sequence. Players take turns repeating the sequence, adding one sound each round. They can see how long a chain they can build in the session!
- I Spy with My Little Handcues:One player secretly chooses a sound on the poster, describes it using Handcues cues, and says "I spy with my little Handcues..." Players guess the sound by asking yes-or-no questions.
- Storytelling Spree:Take turns telling a story, incorporating sounds from the poster whenever you see a specific clue (e.g., a blue dot for a vowel, a hand wave for a long sound). Get silly and creative!
- Sing a Silly Song:Compose a goofy song together, using sounds from the poster as your musical notes. Add funny lyrics and actions for extra laughs.
- Poster Picasso:Draw a funny creature from each sound symbol or hand cue. Give each face a voice by practicing different sounds!
Beyond the Posters:
- Flashcards Frenzy:Turn the sound icons into flashcards and play classic games like snap, concentration, or even "Go Fish" with a speech twist!
- Scavenger Hunt:Hide sound icons around the house or classroom. Players search for them, practicing the sounds as they find them.
- Bingo Bonanza:Create bingo cards with sound icons instead of numbers. Call out sounds, and players mark them off their cards. Winner gets a "Speech Champion" crown!
Remember, the key is to have fun and keep things engaging. These are just a few ideas to get you started. Children are naturally good at coming up with games, so let them also make up some of the games. Some children may even take to exploring the sounds on their own. Feel free to adapt them, invent your own games on the go to suit different ages and abilities and ensure everyone has a blast while practicing their speech. Let your creativity shine! With a little imagination and the power of Handcues, speech practice can be a joyful adventure for everyone.
So, unleash your inner child, grab your Handcues posters, and get ready to play! Happy learning!